Sunday, February 20, 2011

The beginning of sugaring season...

The end of February is fast approaching and my first attempt at sugaring is scheduled for tomorrow. My plan was to boil the first test run on my grill, however I discovered this evening that the grill is no longer an option due to a pretty serious gas leak. Looks like Plan B will have to take over. Plan B is building a cinder block firepit for the initial boiling and finishing the rest in the house.

The amount of sap that I have right now is so pathetic it's almost not even worth it, however I've got to give this a go at some point. And it's probably better to make mistakes with small batch rather than a large one. Additionally, I need to actually build the fire pit, if I don't, I'll end up with a whole lot of sap and no way to cook it down.


So, tomorrow's task's include:
  • Digging a big hole in the snow.
  • Building a fire pit out of concrete cinder blocks.
  • Boiling about 3 gallons of sap.
I know, there isn't much to be excited about so far, but I'm getting there. Pictures and discussion tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment